While vacationing in Madrid, there are a few things that you have to do to check off all of the diligent-tourist boxes. First, marvel at the beauty of Salvador Dalí’s artwork at the Museo del Prado, imbibe in all of the red wine from Rioja, and finally, eat, eat, and eat all of the amazing food.
Of course, this entails noshing on mucho churros dipped in melted chocolate, scooping up all the seafood paella, and ordering so many tapas (pan con tomate and croquetas or bust) that you hardly have any room on the table. IMO, however, one of the most delicious Spanish dishes also happens to be one of the easiest to recreate when back home and coming down from your post-vacation high. Yes, we’re obviously talking about tortilla Española, aka Spanish tortilla.
Imagine if an omelet and potato casserole had a baby. The result would be this delicious, golden, nutrient-packed Spanish tortilla with less than five ingredients and no special kitchen equipment. It’s fluffy, filling, and so decadent that it will quickly become your new favorite way to meal prep breakfast for the entire week.
How to make a Spanish tortilla recipe at home
Although the name might imply otherwise, a Spanish tortilla isn’t like a Mexican tortilla at all. Instead, it’s much more closely related to an omelet filled with tasty toppings, and it’s so easy to make. To nail this recipe, you’ll need just three things—first, a medium-sized nonstick pan. Secondly, adequately-prepped ingredients. And lastly, a lid or plate larger than the pan’s circumference to help flip the tortilla once it’s almost fully cooked. And yes, the most challenging part about making this dish is simply flipping it onto a plate. But don’t worry, we believe in you.
In a recent TikTok video by @sylvmartins, Sylvio Martins shares his simple recipe for making a foolproof tortilla Española using three simple ingredients: potatoes, eggs, and an onion. Ready to make every day feel like a Spanish holiday?
@sylvmartins TORTILLA ESPAÑOLA 🇪🇸 #food #cooking #parati #spanish #foodtiktok ♬ Lo-fi hip hop – NAO-K
To make this delicious dish, Martins starts by prepping his mise en place, aka ingredients. This means peeling, slicing, and soaking a few golden potatoes, followed by whisking several eggs and slicing a yellow onion. Once the ingredients are ready to go, he gently poaches the potatoes and eggs in olive oil until soft and tender but can still hold their shape.
Now, the fun part: To bind everything together to form a giant omelet-like dome, Martins adds the eggs to the pan. Once the bottom has browned and the eggs are cooked almost completely, he carefully uses a lid to flip the tortilla (deep breath!) and slide it back into the pan to finish cooking. The result? A super-hearty and protein-packed breakfast you can eat right then or save for later. It stores well in the refrigerator to enjoy all week long.
What makes this Spanish tortilla recipe so good for you?
This three-ingredient recipe is productivity in its prime. All three ingredients boast a bevy of health benefits that range from brain-boosting to gut-healthy to anti-inflammatory properties. The eggs, which make up one-third of the dish, contain about six grams of protein per egg, are high in choline (which supports your nervous system and cognitive functioning), and are packed with tons of iron that boosts the immune system.
Meanwhile, potatoes are not only economical, but they’re also loaded with tons of gut-healthy fiber, potassium, and vitamin C—about 45 percent of your daily value, to be exact. And lastly, onions are not just good for adding tons of flavor and making you cry. This allium helps enhance the bioavailability of zinc and iron in foods.
TL; DR? The potatoes, eggs, and onions in this Spanish tortilla recipe prove that some of the best things in life really do come in threes.
Spanish tortilla recipe
Yields 12 servings
3 medium golden potatoes, peeled, sliced into semi-circles, and soaked
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 to 2 cups olive oil
Salt to taste
1. Peel the washed golden potatoes and slice them into semi-circles. Then, place in a large bowl filled with cool water to soak. After a few minutes, strain the water and gently pat the potatoes dry with a paper towel.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium nonstick pan, preheat the oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough to bubble around the potato gently, add the potatoes and poach them gently. Once five minutes have passed, add the onions, and cook for another 15 minutes. Remove the filling and set it aside in a large bowl. Once the oil has slightly cooled, transfer it into a heat-proof container.
3. Season the potato and onion mixture, as well as the whisked eggs. Next, add the eggs and gently stir to combine.
4. Add a bit of the reserved cooking oil to the same pan, and preheat over high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the egg potato mixture, and reduce to medium-high heat. Using a spatula, push the mixture to cover all the edges—cook for three to five minutes, or until the bottom becomes golden brown.
5. Using a lid or a plate, carefully flip the tortilla. Gently slide it back into the pan, turn off the stove, and allow the residual heat to cook the bottom.
Another point for potatoes! Learn why this humble spud is worth all the admiration in the world:
We are now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@TechiUpdate) and stay updated with the latest Technology headlines.
For all the latest Food and Drinks News Click Here