Orange Line service returns with all new cars after month-long shutdown

0

BOSTON – Service resumed on the MBTA’s Orange Line early Monday with all new cars after an unprecedented month-long shutdown for repairs and upgrades. The first trains left Oak Grove and Forest Hills at 5:16 a.m.

“Thanks to our riders for their patience & our crews for their efforts,” the MBTA tweeted.

Boston Mayor Michelle Wu took the train to work from the Forest Hills station in Jamaica Plain. She said it took about 25 minutes to get to the State Street station. 

“My morning commute in from Roslindale was shortened quite a bit without having to change from the Green Line, see that route stretched out and stuck in traffic,” Wu said. “There will be a little bit of a transition period but we’re headed in a great direction for the Orange Line and for the system overall.”

“So far, so good. Again, I want to set expectations. We still have all those slow zones in place, so it’s going to be a slower ride today. As the week progresses, the ride will get faster, as we do our inspections and remove those slow zones,” MBTA General Manager Steve Poftak told reporters Monday. He added that it will take 5 to 7 days to eliminate the slow zones.

The six slow zones were created because of signal problems on the Orange Line. New signals were installed and 14,000 feet of track were replaced during the shutdown.

Poftak said five years’ worth of improvements were completed in the last 30 days.

The hope now is that the reopening of the Orange Line not only streamlines the commute for riders, but also clears up some traffic on the roads now that replacement shuttle buses are no longer running. 

Stay connected with us on social media platform for instant update click here to join our  Twitter, & Facebook

We are now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@TechiUpdate) and stay updated with the latest Technology headlines.

For all the latest Entertainment News Click Here 

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! Rapidtelecast.com is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.
Leave a comment